Saturday, June 20, 2020

Training, Day #6

Oy, today was a very hard training day, and really shouldn't have been. I woke up all too early, went through my normal morning routine, but was still far too tired, so I went back to sleep for another hour. No point in heading out the door if I'm too tired to stay awake, even if it's just a short 6-mile run at 7:40/mile pace.

Once I finally got outside, I was feeling fine. While I start off a little too fast, I was able to pull it back enough to be right on target for Mile 1. I sped up a little bit on Mile 2 because of a nice downhill portion where I always gain a bit of speed (which I usually lose even moreso when returning on the back end). So far so good. But after Mile 3, all of a sudden my HR spiked something fierce, and it was a big struggle to return the last three miles.

Mile     Goal     Actual
1           7:40     7:39
2           7:40     7:31
3           7:40     7:39
4           7:40     7:37
5           7:40     7:40
6           7:40     7:35

Not entirely sure what happened. While it was warm, it wasn't so hot that I should have adjusted my planned pace at all. And while it was definitely very humid, it certainly wasn't oppressive (even with  the reasonable temperature factored in). So what else? Not sure.

Tomorrow: 10-miler. Reasonable paces, but I'll definitely be mindful of HR spiking again. If it does for any prolonged time (sometimes the watch will scream but there really isn't any issue), I'll definitely cut things short and/or reduce speed. Fingers crossed that I've been able to recover enough today.

No comments:

Post a Comment