Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Training Officially Begins

While it's still unclear whether the Chicago Marathon will actually take place in October thanks to COVID-19, I've decided to move forward with my training to make sure that I am prepared for it, should it actually happen. I've run over 40 marathons to date, so finishing isn't a concern. My goal for the Chicago Marathon: break 3 hours. The closest I've come was 3:02:02 at the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon this past October, so I know I'm capable of it, with proper training.

Day 1 (Monday): 6-Mile Progression Run

Mile #     Goal Pace     Actual Pace
1              8:05              7:54
2              7:50              7:45
3              7:50              7:42
4              7:35              7:33
5              7:35              7:30
6              7:20              7:06

One of my biggest challenges while running outdoors is hitting the goal pace a bit closer than above; this is pretty good for me. Started out pretty comfortably (since my pace during the recent maintenance phase has been 7:45-8:00), but certainly got more difficult as I picked up speed. Especially since Mile 5 contains a hill on which I almost always wind up slowing down too much. It's nothing huge (it's shorter and less steep than the MCM finish), but it's enough. Nailed it.

Tuesday: 5k time trial. Goal is to get 20:50-20:55. I know I'm capable of it (since my best 5k is 20:45 from Toronto), but it's still a bit daunting.


No comments:

Post a Comment