Saturday, June 13, 2020

Goals and Attitude

Lesson #1: Always set a goal for your run (regardless of whether it is training or race day).
Lesson #2: Have a positive mental attitude going into your run.

Last weekend gave me wildly different results on my runs, and while the heat had a small portion to play, the larger portions of the difficulties I faced on Friday and Saturday were strictly mental in nature. It can never be understated how much of marathoning and marathon training is a mental game, moreso than the obvious physical one.

Last Friday, I was feeling a little run down. Nothing much, but still a noticeable lack of energy compared to normal. I also didn't have any motivation whatsoever for the day, but decided to push ahead with the 6-mile run nonetheless. For my training runs, the specific distance itself is insufficient for a goal -- I should have a specific pace or challenge to be completed. I didn't have one. Despite doing well with the first 4 miles (average ~7:45/mile), the tires fell off utterly at that point, finishing my last 2 miles at 17:26 and 18:11 -- which, admittedly, had a brief stop to try to coax out a scared cat from the brush. Temps were reasonable, if a bit warm. (~68-70F)

Last Saturday, I had a slightly longer 8 miles to run. I went out a little too fast, but had a reasonable attitude. But clearly I hadn't properly adjusted my goal for the heat (~71-80F), which clearly had overtaken me in Mile 4 -- I could feel my heartbeat racing and my watch was screaming at me regularly to accentuate the fact. Slow walk back home on the second half of the run. Very demoralizing.

On Sunday, I woke up feeling good. Nice low resting HR. Good temps (66-72F). Set my sights on an easy 8-min pace. A drop slower than desired, with a brief pit stop about 7 miles in, but still went well.

Mixed bag during the week, and while yesterday's run was tough (given how tight my legs were feeling), today's 10-miler went really well. Again, low resting HR, decent temps, good energy, and my legs weren't tight at all. Managed to go faster than my goal pace of 7:45, with an average of 7:38. Splitting my distance with part of the W&OD Trail that I don't usually run certainly helped change things up a bit and keep my attitude positive.

Tomorrow, short run of 6 miles, and then my training plan for Chicago Marathon begins on Monday. (Have to be optimistic about it going forward.) My trainer is happy with the base that I've maintained, and has given me a head's up that Monday's run will be a tough start. Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment