Sunday, June 21, 2020

Training, Day #7

Wow, who would've ever thought getting back onto the treadmill at the gym would be so great? I've known for quite a while that treadmill running is much easier for me than outdoors, but today's run (after more than 3 months of exclusively outdoor running) really brought it home. There seem to be a few factors that I can quickly identify:
1) The temperature and humidity conditions are consistent indoors, with zero wind
2) No variations in the path being run nor concern about having to run around others going slower or let others (typically bicyclists) pass
3) Absolutely zero energy (either mental or physical) going into verifying what pace is being run during any particular segment and making adjustments to get closer to pace. I usually start off any mile too fast, and then have to spend some time trying to rein it back in, but not *so* much that I then start off the next mile too slowly.

Today's effort was 5 miles at 7:47 (since I can't get the treadmill to do 7:45, only having increments of 0.1mph) and 5 miles at 7:30. Nice and easy. FAR easier than yesterday's effort, which was shorter and only slightly faster than today's initial pace. So long as I can keep getting onto the one treadmill that actually has closed captioning on it (so that I can watch more than just cooking shows that don't need audio or captioning), I'll be quite happy with being back indoors more often than not.

No comments:

Post a Comment