Monday, July 13, 2020

Another Shot Destroying Motivation

Well, what was expected (and feared) for months has finally come to fruition: the Chicago Marathon has finally cancelled this year's race. Dammit! 

I just started week 5 of my training plan shooting for a sub-3-hour marathon. Talk about taking the wind out of the sails for my speed workout on tap for tomorrow. I'll still do it, but the motivation will be sorely lacking.

The last week or so I've been looking into a couple of marathons in mid-Sepetember (to replace my planned overseas marathons that I can no longer get to this year). Now, I have some choices to make:
1) Find another race on Columbus Day weekend (or close to it) that is sufficiently flat that continuing training for sub-3 makes sense
2) Push up the current training schedule by a full month to make the attempt in mid-September (at least assuming the course profile is reasonably flat)
3) Bail on the goal of sub-3-hours for this year and push off that training until next year, with the goal, once again, of going sub-3 at Chicago.


Update: I may have found another race to replace Chicago. Granted, it is a far cry from the size of Chicago, but is largely flat (one gradual hill, twice) and there's even a 3-hr pace team that I'll be able to lean on. Never expected I'd go to Wichita, KS, but Prairie Fire Marathon is looking like a viable alternative for the sub-3 goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment