Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Speed Day

Tuesdays are the hardest SOS workouts on this plan. When 7.6mph is your warm-up speed and 8.9mph is your cool down speed, each for 1 mile, you know it's going to be a fun, tough run.

The first set of eight ¼-mile intervals were at 10mph. Fast! And really not all that bad. Just when the actual difficulty is about to hit, the distance is finished, and it's time to walk for a minute.

The next set of four ½-mile intervals, barely slower at 9.8mph, was noticeably harder. That extra distance per interval can definitely be felt. How Eliud Kipchoge manages to go 13.1mph for a full 26.2 miles is beyond my comprehension.

The final set of two ¼-mile intervals, at top speed of 10.1mph, was as much of a breeze as the first set of intervals, given they're that brief.

All in all, as much as I dread these days, they are actually a great way of increasing my motivation. And, lord knows, I need that help with motivation given Chicago's cancellation. I'm also looking at the possibility of being a pacer for a couple of the marathons that are on my radar or already signed up for -- which also helps greatly with motivation, making sure that I am fit enough to comfortably run whichever pace I wind up being assigned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment