Sunday, July 5, 2020

Training wk 3 ends

Oh, boy. Today was even more brutal than yesterday. And while, to some extent, that should have been expected, since today was 12 miles as opposed to yesterday's 4 miles, I figured that the conditions would be a bit more acceptable indoors on the treadmill than outdoors in the sun, heat, and humidity. Suffice to say, that didn't quite pan out as planned.

While the temps were surely lower (the A/C is likely set around 72) and there was obviously zero sun, the humidity wasn't really cut all that much by the A/C -- so I as a puddle pretty early on. The first few miles were comfortable with a decent HR, my effort (and consequently HR) went up a decent bit by the time I finished Mile 6 (I was at about 190bpm). I pulled back just a little bit for 2 miles, hoping my HR would drop a bit and make things easier, but to no avail. I was hurting. No need to hurt myself, I decided to walk until I could drop my HR below 150. The remain 4 miles were a bit of a see-saw between going 7.8mph and dropping to a walk to drop the HR.

The good news, though? At no point in time did my legs have any problem or feel tight. If I could have disconnected my legs from my HR and breathing, I could've kept going without any issue. Shame that's not exactly possible. :-)

This took so much out of me, though, that I dropped 2.5 pounds compared to the same time post-workout yesterday. (!) That's a lot of water lost, despite having drunk 16oz during the run. While I'm happy to drop some of the additional weight (ultimately I would like to be at ~160 by the time the marathon happens), doing so that quickly is just not good. And I'll bounce back up by at least 1-2 pounds or more tomorrow both because I'll weigh myself end of day (I run after work, mornings usually only on weekends) and today is going to be a high-salt day -- I just had a great bacon cheeseburger, onion rings, and chocolate shake at a local burger joint. (If you're in Leesburg, stop by Melt. It's worth the money and the calories.)

Well-earned rest day tomorrow to start of a pull-back week to let some of the gains of this cycle settle in.

No comments:

Post a Comment