Saturday, January 29, 2022

Dopey Challenge 2022, Day 5, part 1 - half marathon



Third morning of crazy early wake-up. Ugh. But the run was shaping up to be a lot of fun, since I was set to run the course with Laura, who I wound up pacing at the Florida Marathon last February -- in a horrendous thunderstorm.


Ironically enough, there was a nasty downpour for a while during the time we were standing around. I wound up taking shelter underneath the bleachers a couple of times. Thankfully the scattered showers blew through the area before we headed towards the starting corrals.


So, her cousin (?) Danny was going to join us for some of the race, but very quickly wound up speeding away. He also took most of the photo ops and wound up crossing a few minutes ahead of us.







More cowbell!








Running through the castle and emerging out the front is always a great view of Main Street USA all lit up, and usually a real quick detour to get a nice photo in front of the castle. They changed things up this year in terms of how to get into the photo area, confused the dickens out of me. Thankfully it only tripped me up mentally, not physically, and didn't really cause any significant delay to getting back on the route.


Quick stop, and back on the road!


But only for so long before we get to our next stops.


Rather evil exiting Magic Kingdom backstage.


Yeah, so my stance looks more like someone who's about to swing a baseball bat than a golf club. Oh well.




Who the heck IS this guy? We have no idea!


OK, so I looked it up. It's Wilbur Robinson, from "Meet the Robinsons." Huh. I did see it, but just the once. Interesting addition - and the last character before the finish line. 

Should've been Peter Pan, given my usual flying toward the finish line.





¾ of the way done! I prefer thinking of it based on number of races, not mileage, since we don't hit half-way done mileage-wise until we hit 1.9 miles into the marathon.




No comments:

Post a Comment