Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Best ranking!

The Abbott World Marathon Majors ranking system is a little convoluted in terms of how runners aged 40+ earn points, but you kinda get used to it. In short, the faster you run, the better your rank likely will be. And your best two results from qualifying races are what get added together to determine your total points (and, therefore, rank).

Well, Shamrock Marathon -- from St. Patrick's Day weekend -- has finally been added to the results. And it's my 2nd qualifying race of the year. There are only 44 people who have two qualifying races right now, so there's little competition so far. And, amazingly enough, I am 9th in the age group!


Thing is, I should no longer be in the above list at all, since I have "aged up." Not sure how long it will take for my results to shift over, but as I understand it, the points that I earned in one age group will shift to the new age group -- no recalculation of points to be done. So, given I have 6530 points at the moment, were I to appear in the correct age group right now, I would actually be 8th place!

Great as it currently is, I don't think this combined result will be good enough by the time the full year finishes up to be in the Top 65 of the age group. I'll be trying to beat my Shamrock time at Boston (which would be astonishing if I manage it) to help inch up my points a little bit. But the real effort at going up in the rankings will come in October when I try one more time to go sub-3.

But for now, I need to revel in this great ranking while it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment