Sunday, April 3, 2022

Flexibility is important

No, not the flexibility that comes from stretching (though that's supposedly helpful, too). No, I'm referring to the flexibility to change up training and roll with the punches. Last weekend, while a friend was in town, apparently what I ate was far enough off my regular regimen that it put my digestive system in a bit of a tail spin for a few days. What should have been a 21-mile run last Sunday wound up being solely 10 miles, interrupted three separate times by having to go to the restroom. (Really glad I was on the treadmill in the gym and hadn't attempted a run on the W&OD trail.) And the several days after that were adjusted while my system got "back in whack." 

Somewhat disappointing, but keeping focused and flexible enough to change up my planned training regimen got me back to where I needed to be. Today, I had a 22-mile run to kick off my 2-weeks taper before Boston. Flat portions I did at ~7:10/mi pace, with hills approximating Boston's profile at 7:30/pace, and it worked quite nicely. I even managed to get through the "Newton Hills!"

No comments:

Post a Comment