Sunday, July 23, 2023

Nearly half-way there...

Training for this possibly last sub-3 attempt in Chicago is going well, despite the heat. Granted, I typically only run outdoors on the weekend, but still.

VO2 max has gone from 51 at the start of the cycle to 59. (Hoping to hit 62 by the end.) And I'm enjoying the weekly workouts that include 30-second strides... at 11.5mph(!). They kick my ass, but are actually doable.


While today's run was slightly slower than desired, I wasn't upset with the results, since I started at 72F and finished at 80F.


Finally took a look at just how much of an increase in elevation that first mile is (which was repeated as my 7th mile, too): 100 feet, so, about 2% incline -- no wonder why it's as tough as it is for me. Goal for today was 7:55, which I managed for 5 of the first 6 miles, and the last mile. 

Some tough workouts for the coming week: speed workout with intervals at 9.6 and 10.2mph, tempo workout with half of the mileage at 7min/mile, stride workout with the base pace near tempo (so there won't be much recovery after the strides), and a good 16-mile long run. Bring it!


No comments:

Post a Comment