Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Food Recommendations

No, I'm not talking about race nutrition, important though that is. Not even the nutrition in the days leading up to race day. Rather, the "reward" food after the race is done. What do you tend to eat for lunch or dinner after the race finishes?

My go-to for lunch, when possible, is a great burger, fries or onion rings, and a milkshake. The best so far: Mr. Bartley's in Harvard Square. I have to wait until the following day, since they're closed on Mondays. But...Damn good! I'm mildly disheartened that at the moment, I can't find a good burger place near my hotel in Mesa. (Sure, I can take a taxi each way, but I'd rather have something within reasonable walking distance (~1 mi).) Dinner is whatever happens to grab my fancy -- Chinese, Thai, or seafood are frequently my choice. In the case of this weekend, it looks like Gus' Fried Chicken is the way to go.

Having a separate treat is also something that I'm thinking about rather a sizable amount... because I found out that there is a Hurts Donuts in town, even though a bit out of my way. Those were damn good donuts when I had them in Little Rock. So, strongly considering getting one for myself for the weekend, and bringing back some for the office.

I behave myself the vast majority of the time when it comes to my diet, I've GOT to give in to the bad but oh so good on race weekend (or even some of my longer runs -- like when I go to Melt after 20-milers).

New York, I made it a point to get lunch at Katz's and at Zabar's (while getting snacks for friends and family).

Chicago: Giordano's deep dish pizza for dinner a couple of nights in advance.

Walt Disney World: Tons of options for lunch and dinner. Must-have mostly because of it being a Disney trip rather than marathon-related: Tonga Toast at Capt. Cook's.

MCM: It's a local marathon for me. So my go-to dinner 1-2 nights before is typically one of a pair of restaurants within a few blocks of each other less than 10 minutes from me: Cantina D'Italia and Nunu's Thai Dishes. Melt after I get back from the race.


So, what do you like having? What specific recommendations do you have for your regular marathons?

No comments:

Post a Comment