Sunday, November 27, 2022

Accepting modification of goals

For several years, I've attempted to get into the Abbott World Marathon Majors Age Championships. Not surprisingly, it's damn difficult -- I haven't managed it yet. And it seems like the only plausible way (at least for the next decade while there's still lots of competition) would be for me to get sub-3 times for both races. And, to date, I've only managed sub-3 once. I'm starting to think that I might not have it in me any more. I think 2023 will be the last time I actively seek sub-3 times at qualifying races. (Which also means no more "absolute" Personal Records are in the offing after 2023.) I just signed up for Mesa (where I got my only sub-3 earlier this year), I will attempt that time at Chicago, and I'll even consider signing up for Grandma's, too. (I've got a few months to go before I need to make a final decision on that one.)

Starting in 2024, I will continue to do a few of my regular races (Boston for as long as I qualify, MCM (hopefully continuing as a pacer), and NYC if I time-qualify). Beyond that, I think I will look to do more pacing, and hopefully at a variety of races (and states) I've not done before. And I definitely want to travel to international marathons more than the few I've done so far -- getting at least one of those per year would be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment