Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Gorgeous but bad forecast

The forecast for the next several days looks gorgeous. But that's really from a spectator's perspective, not a marathoner's.

Staten Island (home to the start line):

            

Manhattan (home to the finish line):



So, it will be about 60F when I walk out the door from the hotel in Manhattan to catch the bus to Staten Island. By the time the race starts several hours later, odds are good that temps will have risen into the mid-60s, at least. That is HOT for the starting temperature of a marathon. By the time I finish, it will have gotten past 70F. I'm glad I wasn't planning on running this for a particular time -- there's no way I would likely be able to do a great time in such temperatures. So, it's all about enjoying the race. (Hmmm... maybe I should actually consider taking my camera. I've only done that during Disney races and at Big Sur this year.)

Lord knows, if this holds, no need for the foil and no freezing while cooling my heels in Fort Totten. Heck, given that I know I'll be dousing myself with water at every aid stop, I may well not bother wearing my singlet.

No comments:

Post a Comment