Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Feeling great

Typically, any marathon training plan will have you rest for a while after finishing a marathon prior to the next one. (Yeah, yeah, never mind those times where you do a double. Those are exceptions.) Some plans say to wait 1-2 weeks before running again, others actually dictate that you should wait about 26 days before running again. Obviously, in any of these scenarios, some other sort of exercise can still be done, but avoid doing much/any on your feet. Possibly not even do anything overly strenuous.

With only 11 days remaining until my next marathon, and my feet and legs feeling just fine post-Suffolk County, I decided to give a somewhat strenuous workout a shot tonight anyway. Marathon pace for hitting sub-3:00 is approximately 6:52/mile. Tonight's training run was 6 miles at 6:55/mi. And I felt fine for the entire thing. No twinges to speak of, not sore before or after, no need to scale it back at any point - absolutely great.

While next week's final runs Monday through Thursday are all slower than marathon pace (7:30/mi) and pretty short (4 - 6 miles each), the remaining runs this week, through Sunday, are all some variety of strenuous. Looking forward to it. This should keep me in good stead to break 3:30. While I would love to approach or break 3:15 in NYC, I'm not overly concerned with doing so, since I will be looking to have that result in Little Rock. Granted, as NYC gets even closer, I need to figure out how many points I need for one of these two races to have a good chance of finishing wel enough in the Age Rankings to get an invite for the Age Championships in London next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment