Thursday, October 28, 2021

Garmin flailing

Looks like I got very lucky with my Garmin working properly for the marathon this past Sunday, because the last two days it has been seriously f*cked up.

Yesterday, it re-started itself several times, eventually showing a very different time than was the case, having completely nonsensical HR Zones, and wrong personal stats. While I saw (and fixed) the time before my workout, I didn't know about the rest until afterwards. My HR got up to 135 (typically Zone 2), but the entire run showed as Zone 0 (where the vast majority of it really should have been Zone 2). The watch also wasn't syncing properly, forcing me to connect it to the computer and provide the update that way.  After a long time monkeying around with settings, I thought I had fixed everything.

Then today... everything looked correct going into the run. When I run faster than 7.7mph on the treadmill (and I was doing so throughout the run), the beep indicating the mile is complete is off anywhere from 6-15%. When I got to about 1.07 mi on the treadmill, I took a look at the watch. There was no distance indicated whatsoever. Somehow, it looks like the distance for each stride on the treadmill got zeroed out. OK, I can deal with that - edit it afterwards. I do that daily anyway, to get the distance to match what I've done on the treadmill. 

But it's even worse. When I checked my HR, the expected ~132 was showing a zone I've never seen before -- Zone 6.1. WTF? I thought it only had Zones 0-5. And 132 should be nowhere near Zone 5 (let alone 6) -- it's solidly inside of Zone 2 for me. *sigh* Need to fix that.

After I finished the run and stopped the watch, it started to save the workout, same as always. And it kept swirling, saving... for about 40 minutes before I was able to hook it up to recharge the battery and try to kick it out of this endless cycling save. Alas, that seems to have deleted the workout entirely. :-( It was not visible inside the Garmin when I connected it to the computer and try to manually import the workout.

I need to fix this in advance of the upcoming marathons. Hopefully I can manage it, with or without tech support from Garmin.

No comments:

Post a Comment