Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Chicago / Boston Marathon double race report, part 6: Can I run Boston?

Less than 2 hours later, we land in Boston, I get my checked bag and call the hotel for their shuttle service. I wind up calling a total of three times over about 45 minutes before the van actually arrives. But it does, and I finally make it to the hotel -- all the way out in Revere, just past the end of the blue line (which has its terminus in Wonderland).

Nice hotel, friendly staff. I get my key from the front desk and then ask if the room has a bathtub, or just a shower. Oh, what a wonderful question to remember to ask. I was given a shower-only room, so I asked for one with a bathtub, if still available. (Given it was past 8pm, there was no guarantee I could change rooms.) A few minutes of typing in the computer and shifting someone else who had not yet checked in, I get a different room. Top floor (the hotel has an elevator, so no complaint), and it is a fully ADA-compliant accessible room. Not only is the room itself huge, as is the bathroom (since it needs to have room to accommodate a wheelchair), but there are bars by the toilet and plenty of bars in different configurations in the tub. Fantastic! While I didn't need them right now, they would surely come in handy after finishing Boston... if I can finish Boston, or even start Boston.

By this point in time, I was really worried about my toes. And as quickly as possible, get my sneakers off and my socks. Huge inflammation of the toenails on both big toes -- the left one feeling much worse than the right -- and both getting cloudy and purple under the nail. (Yep, those are actually blood blisters forming.) I need a pain reliever -- Motrin is what I've been advised. And I really should get some Gatorade or Powerade to continue replenishing some electrolytes. So, wool socks back on my feet, I shuffle downstairs to purchase both items, and get a list of the local restaurants. Despite it being as late as it is, I eventually make the decision to order some take-out Chinese food. Large delivery fee tacked on, and it wasn't quite what I thought it was going to be. But it was good and what I needed.

Still, the worry was whether I could even start Boston, let alone finish in a reasonable time. Can I do 5 hours with these toes? One of my running friends was starting an hour after me and sent me a photo of the outfit she was going to be wearing. I advised her of my hoped-for time and that I'd keep an eye out for her green Mordor outfit. What would the morning bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment