Sunday, October 2, 2022

St. George Marathon 2022, part 1 - bad omens?

Seems like everything was conspiring against me for this race. As you know from prior entries, my training just wasn't up to par on many occasions this time around. 

Then there was the day before leaving and travel to St. George. My flights were originally supposed to get me Thursday morning. At some point in time, my flights were changed, and rather than arriving at 10am, I arrived at 10pm. So much for being able to use the full day to do a little exploring, or go to the concert I was planning on attending. (Glad I was figuring on buying tickets at the box office.)

Then there was the matter of getting a cab to the hotel. First company called: earliest car would be 90 minute wait. (What?!) Second company called: They didn't have any cars available at all, but they could transfer me to the third company. 45 minute wait, they'll call when they're near. (Sigh.) Fine. There were two couples who also wound up calling the same company and arranging for a car. Seems like all three calls went to the same one car, who was willing to take us all simultaneously, bill us on straight mileage between airport and respective drop-offs. (No bargain for us, but wonderful money-maker for him.) I never got a call back from their dispatcher, so had I not actually gotten in the car, who knows what would have actually happened. Fortune for the car. $51 fare. Wow! (Uber was even more expensive -- we all looked.)

I was the 2nd drop-off, and the comment from the driver about it not being a good part of town had me a bit tentative about my choice. (Fortunately, it worked out without any problems.) The motel was certainly less than desirable from the outside, but the room was certainly spacious (not that I used the front part of the suite at all).

Definitely an inauspicious start to the weekend. What would the rest of the weekend hold in store?

No comments:

Post a Comment