Thursday, October 27, 2022

T-minus 3 days!

Only three days left until Marine Corps Marathon (and 50k and 10k) returns for the first time since 2019! My goals for this race have shifted multiple times. Originally, in late 2021, I was expecting to make use of my 50k deferral from the COVID-canceled race, and be a pacer for the 50k again. 

Then one of my friends confirmed that she was going to attempt the marathon, and registered for the 1775k in order to secure a guaranteed MCM registration. I joined her on the 1775k and agreed to pace her for the marathon (deferring my 50k registration one last year to 2023). Ultimately, her goal was going to be somewhere in the 5-6 hour range, TBD later in the training cycle. Unfortunately, finally entering her 2nd year in med school, she finally had her schedule, and discovered that she had a test the day after the marathon, meaning that she would need to fly back immediately following the race. And given her planned finish time and all the time that naturally pads on post-race, it would have been very risky for her set this up, so, unfortunately, she had to cancel. Right call, though, as med school certainly should be the priority. She'll manage to get back to take on MCM, but it may need to be pushed off until after graduating.

Once she confirmed her cancellation, I signed on with the Marathon Maniac pace group again, this time for the marathon (since I was already registered for it). Goal time: 3:40. 

Looking forward to be one of the people manning the booth at the expo again, on Friday (4-7pm). Anyone interested in discussing our respective plans for how to run the race, or asking anything else about the course, etc., please make sure to stop by. I've been running MCM since 2012. It's one of the courses I know best.

Looking forward to toeing the line on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment