Sunday, September 18, 2022

Deciding on my goal

Well, yet another long run that was nowhere near what I needed it to be for my training plan. Disappointing, to put it mildly. I was supposed to do 22 miles @ 7:10 (which would be about 2:38 total), and instead I wound up running 20 and walking the last 2, for a total time of about 3:13. Yes, the hills always get me, and there will be minimal uphills during the marathon. The temperature started at about 60F and went north from there, likely passing 70F by the time I was finished, and the temps during the race should be about 10 degrees cooler across the full duration.

So, it looks like I'll be building out a somewhat customized pace band with three separate sets of splits on it, for hitting sub-3, 3:05, and 3:10. Depending on conditions and how I'm feeling, I'll choose one of the pace groups to join and then, depending on how the run goes, may/may not shift to one of the other times.

3:10 is all I need to be in the Top 65 as of now for Age Championships -- assuming that the person in my age group does not run faster than the "platinum" time standard. Clearly, though, faster would be vastly preferable to be likelier to get to and stay in the Top 65. 

Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment