Sunday, May 15, 2022

Will this affect performance at the Historic Half?

I recently turned 50 and, well, I've hit that point in my life where a colonoscopy is highly recommended. I don't yet have my doctor's instructions, so I've looked up a few places online -- most of which are fairly consistent. I knew it was not great, but had no idea just how bad the days leading up to the procedure are.

Diet winds up being adjusted lots. All of these foods that are part of my daily diet will need to be dropped from Sunday through Wednesday (when I have the procedure):

Oatmeal

Broccoli

Tomatoes

Triscuits

Pears

Spinach

Peanuts

Dark Chocolate


And the day before (and day of) I can't have ANY solid food -- only clear liquids (including a liquid laxative, having never before taken any laxatives), and other things like Jell-o and popsicles. And on the day of, no liquids of any sort four hours in advance.


And I'm pacing for the MCM Historic Half Marathon on Sunday! While the same sort of carb loading and monkeying around with diet isn't needed for me for a half marathon, still... it will be interesting to see how this affects my runs on Thursday and Friday, let alone Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment