Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Predictable lack of energy

In advance of today's procedure, I had to be on a liquid diet all day Tuesday and today. There are only so many ways for me to get calories into my system, and basically no protein at all. I'm amazed that I didn't get a headache for the lack of protein.

I still attempted to get a run in this morning at the gym. While the plan was to do my minimum 6 miles, I only got through a little more than 3 miles at my regular easy pace before my lack of energy was blatantly obvious. I finished out walking that fourth mile and called it a day.

Lesson: Having realistic goals at the outset of a workout or a race is is a must. This leads me to the Historic Half on Sunday. I know that I'm capable of finishing it in my goal time of 1:45 (especially since I'm the pacer for that time on Sunday), but I'm certainly concerned about the temperatures -- the overnight low leading into it is 75F, well higher than is normal for a race start. And the sort of heat where I will certainly be advising anyone in the various pace groups to strongly consider adjusting their goal time and dropping to the next slower time. Especially if the pace group they were going to be joining was a tough or stretch goal to begin with; odds are good that it will be over 80F by the time we finish, and it may well be above 90F for the back-of-the-pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment