Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Boston Marathon Weekend: Day 5 (Homeward Bound)

Post-Marathon Tuesday is the worst day (because of having to go home) but also the tastiest day (possibly 2nd tastiest, if the North End meal is good enough). 


Despite leaving the hotel on the early side, I got here just as they were opening up. Perfect timing, as a couple entered immediately before me. I quickly made my way through the menu to figure out my order and made it clear that I was ready. Thankfully, the waitress noticed and took my order in short order. Phew -- first order up. That would definitely help me with my very tight timing, given how long the T ride between there and the hotel was taking, and between the hotel and the airport.


Oh, scrumptious: Ragin' Cajun. Bacon Cheddar Cheeseburger that had jalapeno peppers and cajun spread. Oh, and their iconic onion rings substituted for french fries. Oh, gladly clog my arteries! So good!

I wolfed it down a little faster than desired (heck, I was hungry, and pressed for time to get back to the hotel to get my bags to then go to the airport). While I wanted to get ice cream at J P Lick's (which is only 1-2 blocks away, en route to the Harvard T Station), not only was I too full to do so, I didn't want to take the extra time that would require.

Back quickly at HoJo's, I got my bags from behind the counter and headed out. If I timed things well enough, I might actually be able to catch the next inbound train with minimal wait. Alas, the train arrived about 2-3 minutes faster than expected, so I missed it. Ugh. 15+ minute wait for the next one. Fine. And then once I got to South Station to transfer to the Silver Line, it was another 10-15 minute wait. But, mercifully, it was so full when we left that the bus driver made a cursory stop at each of the stops only to see if someone was planning on exiting. (None did -- we were all going to the airport.) That helped regain a little bit of time that would otherwise be spent onloading/offloading passengers.

Finally I made it to Logan and, thanks to TSA Pre, flew through Security and off to the gate. Alright, by this point it was actually multiple hours since lunch. What the heck. Dunkin' run #5 for my fifth different item at my fifth different Dunkin' location.

Alas, it was late enough in the day that it was ever so slightly stale and crunchy, rather than the soft texture good doughnuts would actually be.

My first flight was so full, and unfortunately I was in Group 4, I was forced to check one of my bags to my final destination. (I hate having to do that, especially when it turns out that there was just enough overhead space remaining where I actually could have brought my 2nd bag on.) And astoundingly enough, on my last leg from Newark to Dulles, there were a total of 40 occupied seats on the plane. TONS of empty space.

Given my standard results at Boston, I have decided to rethink my race strategy for Boston. Rather than run for time, it will be for lots of random fun extras (assuming the weather cooperates well enough):
1) Take photos at all the mile markers
2) Take a photo of some of the landmarks (e.g., John Kelley statue) and regular spectators (Santa is usually around mile 4 or 5)
3) Get video of jumping on the trampolines at Mile 10
4) Take selfies in front of Dunkin' while eating a donut or munchkin. (There are several Dunkin's directly on the marathon course)
5) Take video of some sections of the course: Starting Line, Wellesley Scream Tunnel, surmounting Heartbreak Hill, making the final two turns and running towards and over the finish line.

Welcome other suggestions of what should be considered to be done during the race. I look forward to getting back to Boston next year - one of my two remaining annual races (since NYC is less guaranteed than Boston is).

No comments:

Post a Comment