Saturday, December 10, 2022

OK with ending my perfect streak

Even though my 1st and 2nd marathons were the New York City Marathon, I really owe it to Disney Marathon Weekend for sparking my interest in marathoning on a regular basis and which, over time, has turned into a very central part of my life. My first Disney race was the Goofy Challenge in 2012, and I "upgraded" to the Dopey Challenge when it began in 2014. And I've even run a few of the Disney races at Disneyland while they were still doing them. To date, I've run a total of 59 marathons and 1 ultra, and I've got a lot more in me.

And despite the fact that runDisney does a pretty damn good job with the races they put on, simply put... I'm Disney'd out. This upcoming Disney Marathon Weekend will be my last Dopey -- ending my being Perfectly Dopey on the 10th year. Seems kinda fitting. 

I've done the Disney parks so much (and paid WAY too much in aggregate over the last decade), there really isn't any thrill any more (beyond running up Main Street toward the icicle-clad castle). In fact, apart from running through the parks during the races next month, I won't be doing Disney. I'll actually be going to Universal Studios (where I haven't been for nearly 30 years). And I'm totally fine with it. End of an era.

No comments:

Post a Comment