Friday, July 22, 2022

WMM Disappointment

As I've mentioned multiple times this year, I'm aiming to qualify for the 2023 Abbott World Marathon Majors Age Championships. (As of tonight, I am now ranked 81st -- and only the Top 65 in my age group will be invited.) I have one great result, and one mediocre result that I am looking to vastly improve on this fall. If I get a 2nd sub-3 result, I'm fairly confident that would be sufficient to bring be back into the Top 65.

I was hoping that the 2023 Age Championships would be in London, again, given how difficult it is to get in by a non-UK resident via lottery, since I really don't want to go the charity bib route again -- very expensive. And if not London, then getting into Tokyo, both because of the cost of the charity bib as well as the dreadfully painful registration process they have.

Alas, the other night, I got an e-mail from Abbott indicating that the 2023 Age Championships would be held at a U.S. major in the 4th quarter of 2023. That means it will be either Chicago (Oct) or New York City (Nov). I was already planning on registering for both of those, since I have qualifying times for them. 

Despite that, I'll certainly accept the invite, if earned. While I have zero illusion that I will podium in my age group, getting the medal for competing in the championship would be HUGE.



No comments:

Post a Comment