Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Confluence of events

Bad run days happen. It sucks when there are many different factors likely contributing to the problem that you can't figure out how much should be attributed to what factor.

Today, my run was supposed to be 2 miles @ 7:35, 3 miles @ 6:40, 2 miles @ 7:35. Given that I was running in 72F heat and 95% humidity, I knew those paces were NOT going to happen. I know the rule of thumb to adjust for temperature, and was set to do 8:00, 7:00, 8:00 instead.

Alas, that wasn't happening either. While my first two miles were actually slightly under 8:00 each, the next two miles were mostly uphill, and with that humidity, I was fortunate to just keep my 8:00 pace. But my legs were plenty sore from yesterday's double, and by the time I was heading back, given the totality of pace, temp, and humidity (and any factor that COVID-19 might be playing, though I suspect minimal), my HR was sky-high (~190). The last 3.5 miles were done at a walking pace. (Whether I wanted the full mileage or not, I had to do it, since my run took me 4 miles away from my apartment before turning around.)

So, how much of today's poor effort can be attributed to which factor? At the end of the day, obviously, it doesn't really matter. Work on a successful run again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment