Monday, March 7, 2022

Playing the Weather Game

As with all marathons, less than 2 weeks out and looking up the predicted weather starts getting serious. (Granted, that doesn't stop me from wondering what the weather will be like for some of my additional marathons further out than that.)

Shamrock is currently looking like the conditions might be a little too difficult to break 3 hours, despite the overall downhill course. Winds are predicted to be 10-20mph, and there is a decent chance of rain. Ugh. It's bad enough when the rain starts up after the race starts, but it's that much worse if it is raining for an hour or more before the race, where it is far too easy for your sneakers to get soaked through and your socks start out wet, thereby making it much likely for blisters to develop.

Nothing I can do about the weather. Best I can do about standing in soaking wet sneakers is to cover my sneakers in plastic bags until a few minutes before the start of the race.

Wish me luck on having the wet weather merely turn into a light mist (rather than a heavy rain) -- which would be great for keeping me cool without getting me overly wet and without needing to take any water from the aid stations to dump over myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment