Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Age Championship Calculations

I've been going a little bonkers since I cracked 3 hours at Mesa Marathon waiting to see my results in Abbott's rankings. Given the winner of my age group finished in just under 2:30 (!), I wound up getting 3400 points. Not shabby, but 80 points less than what I was counting on given he beat the platinum time by 4 minutes. With those points, and just one race having been run, I am currently sitting at #109 in the age group. However, I will age up later this year, so that ranking and how it shifts prior to my birthday isn't al that meaningful.

Re-reading what happens for aging up yet again, it's unclear exactly what happens for those of us who age up. Do our points earned in the current age group carry over unadjusted (which would make sense), or are the results recalculated nased on the new age group (which would have me gain about 220 points)? If the former, I would be tied for approximately 93rd place; if the latter, I would jump to 46th place (all else remaining unchanged).

Once I have my second qualifying race in a few weeks, I will jump up the rankings by quite a lot, simply because I will be one of relatively few people who will have two qualifying races finished that early in the season. It'll feel great, but will be temporary as more people get their respective 2nd races, some of which would have totals higher than mine. Ultimately, the goal is to be in the Top 65 for my age-up age group to qualify for next year. While Boston is a qualifying race, there is zero chance that it will be one of the races that I use for my total. As the year comes closer to ending, I will need to take more stock in what my results are at that point in time and determine whether I need to make sure to run another fast race and try to improve my time. (Can I find a race that is possible for me to sub-3 and is a small enough field that the person who wins the age group is likely slower than the platinum time? Hmm...)

No comments:

Post a Comment