Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Training for Chicago

So, I've been a bit lax in posting. Things outside of my training have been a bit busy. I'm actually inside of Week 2 of training for Chicago. The big days with Week 1? 10k time trial (Day 1) and 5k time trial (Day 2), so that my coach could see what sort of shape I'm in.

As he put it, age has not been a detriment to me. His goal for my 10k was 40 minutes, and I finished in 39:45. His goal for my 5k was 20 minutes, and I nailed it in 19:20. (!) 

Today's speed work had intervals ranging from ¼ mile (at 10mph) to 1 mile (at 8.9mph). Really nice to get the praise of "Just a superior effort. Executed perfectly. HR data is a thing of beauty for a coach." The sharp, fast drop-off/recovery with each walk break is what this was about. Now to keep that up for, oh, 15 more weeks. :-)

Mercifully, SOS (something of substance) runs are alternating days, so tomorrow's 6 miles should be a pretty easy effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment