Thursday, June 10, 2021

Always get refundable hotel rooms

I should know better. While it's fine to pre-pay for a hotel room, make sure that it is fully refundable. If the race cancels mere days ahead of time, you shouldn't be out that cost.

I was all ready to run the full marathon in Wilmington Delaware on Sunday (postponed from March), but in the last day, they canceled the full (while keeping all the other events). My options: get a refund for the race (great, but I'd still be out the cost of the hotel room) or bump down to the half (while not getting the *difference* in the registration rates refunded to me).

I've done all the training, and thankfully have only a relatively short drive to Wilmington, so I'll suck it up and go out as fast as I can for the half -- see what my PR can really be, knowing that I don't need another 13.1 miles in the tank. The only half marathons I've run (since moving out of NYC, when it would have been only as part of training and to qualify for NYC Marathon in th 9+1 program (before the +1)) have been at Disney, and none of them "for time."

Silver lining: Assuming that the Marathon Maniacs are the pace team for the Marine Corps Marathon again this year (now that they are holding a live event) and I can get onto the team again (like I did for the 50k in 2019), that will enable me to have the 50th running of the NYC Marathon be my 50th marathon. With all the cancellations in the past year and some of the random other races I wound up doing along the way, it's amazing to think that that synchronicity that was supposed to happen last year is set to happen this year - possibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment