Tuesday, September 22, 2020

New excitement

One of my plans for this year was to qualify for the Abbott World Marathon Majors Age Championships to be held in 2021. I had already gotten a great first qualifying run in Toronto in Oct 2019. I was all set to get my next qualifying run with Rock 'n Roll DC in March 2020... until it was canceled. Along with all of the other races I had originally registered for in 2020. With only one good race under my belt, I am nowhere near the Top 85 for my age group. I need one more approved race where I finish within 30 minutes (preferably much less) of the top-placing in my age group.

Abbott just announced that they are extending the qualifying period to the end of the year. So, even though  my planned sub-3 race in 3 weeks won't qualify (it's not on the list :-( ), there are a couple of other US marathons currently set to go forward before year's end where, judging on past results, I very well may be within about 15 minutes of the top finisher in my age group. If that all comes together, I have very good odds of qualifying for the Age Championships to be held in London next October!

Anxiously waiting for these next few weeks to proceed to see if the marathons in question continue to be approved or are canceled. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment