Sunday, September 27, 2020

Another tough run

Wow, the cumulative fatigue across my training regimen has certainly taken a toll on me this time around. Today's run is something that should have been easily in my wheelhouse -- 20 miles at 7:25 pace. That's approximately the right pace to get a 3:15 marathon, which is not unreasonable for me. But today... I dropped from pace after 12 miles, and then again at Mile 14 and Mile 16. What should have been a little under 2:30 total wound up being over 2:40. And thoroughly wiped.

At Mile 18, my vision started ever so slightly to be affected similar to what happens when you get lightheaded -- I was right on the edge of that. I was mindful of it for the remaining two miles, prepared to step onto the rails of the treadmill and hold on, but that was not needed. Interestingly, only after I started my cooldown walk on the mill did I start getting lightheaded.

Lunch today was a great local BBQ place, mercifully I was permitted to eat indoors. I desperately needed the food in me, and have no idea how I would have fared if I had to continue back home first. But it took a long time for me to get through my meal. Just the energy needed to eat was a bit hard to muster -- not standard for me. And then to walk back to the car (please, maybe 100-200 feet?)... I was on edge the whole time driving back, looking to just collapse onto the couch.

Clearly something is insufficient in my diet lately, and I need to adjust it anyway to deal with some too-fast weight loss today. But the biggest thing that I truly need is to get my head thoroughly back into the game. Marathon Day (for a real in-person event) is really going to be the only time that truly happens. I have to be confident that my training has put me in good enough stead to make my sub-3 goal, even if the last couple of big runs have gone nowhere well enough to give that impression.

As many people have as a mantra (and as the Marathon Talk podcast just might have as a trademarked slogan on their apparel -- I don't know), "Trust The Process." 

Let's get-er-done!

No comments:

Post a Comment