Wednesday, August 12, 2020

More mental than physical?

Tonight was thoroughly exhausting. I had yet another 10k time trial to undertake, with the goal of breaking 40 minutes. Boy, howdy, was that hard. 9.5 mph the entire time -- 39:40 final time.

The first mile wasn't so bad -- a little tiring but still feeling good. After that, the level of effort quickly climbed to about an 8 out of 10, and was pretty much a 9 out of 10 soon thereafter. It was a continual effort to "run the mile [I was] in" (thanks, Ryan Hall). The television wasn't sufficiently distracting (and the closed captioning was poorly placed to make it easy to read while running at that pace), so breaking everything into smaller chunks helped immeasurably. Break it down to the mile worked early, and then .1 miles to have a 5k split. Then rounding out that 4th mile. The hardest section was the last 2 full miles because of not being able to break each of those down to anything more meaningful than the mile itself -- and given how much my legs were not happy with it, that was arduous. Then the last .2 miles, while difficult, were brief enough that it was energizing approaching that virtual finish line.


I still don't know how my Garmin Forerunner 235 determines what it predicts for times, because I don't find any of them as plausible:

5k: 17:01 (my best 5k was the 1st half of today's 10k, at 19:50)

10k: 35:20 (How, given what I did for today's run? And my Garmin actually though it was only 5.8mi to boot, since the faster I run on the treadmill, the less accurate Garmin's mileage is.)

Half: 1:18:04

Full: 2:43:12 (Ha! Pipe dream. I'm training to crack 3 hours. Garmin's algorithm must be on something to predict something this much faster.)

No comments:

Post a Comment