Thursday, August 6, 2020

Happy to be back on treadmill

Yep, you read that correctly. I like the treadmill.

While the "dreadmill" has a bad reputation, I *greatly* prefer using it for my training. I find it eminently easier to do the paces that I want -- all I need to do is keep up with the machine rather than make sure I independently arrive at and keep the right pace. Outdoors my pace fluctuates FAR too much, both within any given mile (5:11 pace to start off an interval on Tuesday - really?) and between the various miles. There is no such fluctuation possible on the treadmill unless I purposely ratchet it down for some reason.

For nearly the past 2 weeks, I was self-isolating because of a co-worker who had COVID-like symptoms. (Ultimately, he tested negative, and I never had any symptoms.) During the self-isolation, my training runs were on the path that goes behind my apartment complex -- avoided the gym completely. Today was my first day back at the gym. And today's 5-mile tempo run went swimmingly. (I'm sure it would have been so much more difficult if I were outdoors.) 7:35 pace for my first two miles (and last mile), and 6:40 pace for miles 3-4. First segment felt easy. Second segment was getting slightly more difficult near then end of those two miles, but not bad at all. Very pleased with the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment