Saturday, August 15, 2020

Sore, and mini-rant re: masks while running

Wow, these last several days since the 10k time trial have definitely been kicking my butt. Fast (though not tempo pace) both Wednesday and Friday to get mileage in, tempo run on Thursday (oy!). And this morning, 6 miles "as you feel" -- no set pace, just run to comfort. Even so, running each mile in the 8:00 - 8:30 pace, just about everything was sore: my glutes, to some extent my quads, and even my calves were a litle tight (though not too bad). I'm looking forward to having my rest day, but that won't be until Monday, after doing 16 miles at a reasonably fast clip tomorrow.

I ran the streets by my gym. And, since the gym requires everyone entering/exiting the gym to wear a mask, I brought the "surgical" mask with me on my run. No, I didn't run while wearing it -- I don't plan to ever do that sort of thing, and this was additional reason as to why. During the run, I was holding the mask by the ear loops in one hand. Once I got back to the gym, and after wiping down my face (to the extent possible with a sweaty shirt), I dutifully put on my mask to enter the gym and get to the locker room, where I promptly removed the mask -- and it was soaking wet. This after only walking a couple of hundred feet. I can only imagine how nasty it would be to be running any appreciable distance while wearing a mask, and all the chafing that sould likely result from doing so. Never mind the nuisance of moving it enough to be able to drink water or eat gels on a frequent basis. No thanks -- never going to happen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment