Friday, March 13, 2020

So Much for Boston...

Never thought that I would be excited in the wake of the Boston Marathon being postponed to Sept 14 because of the coronavirus. Excited despite the fact that I will not be able to run Boston on that date. (So much for keeping up my nascent streak. I'll re-start it with Boston 2021. Given I already have a guaranteed time (BQ-17:58), I'm not concerned about being able to qualify and register.) Mercifully, not only was there no charge to cancel my hotel reservation, but there won't be a change fee for my flight, either.

Since I'm trying to keep the same number of marathons on my calendar so that NYC Marathon can remain my 50th, I'm looking to replace Boston on the calendar. I've found a race that is flat and fast, and is one of the accepted races in the Wanda Age Championships. The person who won my age group this year did so in a time that I am definitely capable of doing -- I have a shot at not only "getting on the podium" but even being 1st in my age group. That would be a fantastic boost to my odds for qualifying for next year's championship. Hence the excitement. But I won't register until the ban on large events is lifted. Hopefully things will progress well enough to enable that ban reversal in time.

Assuming that race goes on, I still have to figure out what to do with my other postponed or canceled races. Rock n Roll DC hasn't announced what a new date might be or just outright cancellation, and Big Sur is in the process of figuring out options -- both for postponing this year's race, but also being able to defer. If given the option, I'll defer to next year, since I was all set to do the Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge next month. And, of course, hopefully we won't have a  recurrence of COVID-19 come the fall.

Semper Gumby!


No comments:

Post a Comment