Hmm... this result shouldn't be so surprising. Most (all?) of this year, my runs generally have range from 8 miles on the low end (save for the last week of a taper pre-marathon, when distances are shorter), as opposed to being 6 miles during most of my previous training cycles.
For any given run, it's not *that* much extra, tacks on about 20 minutes more to the workout, and enables me to eat a little bit more -- the real motivation behind it.
But those incremental increases have resulted in a sizable cumulative increase in my mileage. This month alone, I've run 260 miles. (I'm actually averaging 65 miles per week? Really?) Across the first 8 months of the year, I've logged just under 1883 miles, whereas in the same timeframe last year I ran just under 1647 miles. A difference of 236 miles -- nearly an entire month's mileage from this small increase in mileage 3-4 days per week.
I'm about to enter a significantly heavy marathon season with 6 marathons I'll be pacing between now and Thanksgiving. (Unclear about December right now.) Ironically enough, each week I run a marathon will likely have a fair bit less mileage than training weeks, given the number of days I take for post-marathon recovery - and don't count my time on the elliptical in my overall mileage totals.
No comments:
Post a Comment