Monday, September 23, 2024

Excitement and Anxiety - Dueling Emotions for an Upcoming Record Attempt

Last Friday, I finally received a response back from Guinness that they have accepted my application for a world record attempt. <cue the excitement!> They provided me with their general guidelines as well as some specific guidelines related to my proposal: fastest marathon run on a ship (male). <cue the anxiety>

When I went on my first cruise in 2023, I made sure to run every morning on the outdoor track atop the ship. The first day we were at sea, going at a reasonable clip (about 20 knots), the movement of the ship was very noticeable on the track -- I could barely stand upright at first. It took a little bit to get my sea legs and figure out the best way to get around the curves at either end of the track without feeling like I would fall over the side and down a few decks. It was a lot of fun; I was chuckling the whole way.

Having previously set a Guinness World Record in October 2019 (for fastest marathon dressed as a super villain (male)), this experience sparked an interest in seeing if Guinness would be amenable to this particular record attempt -- and they accepted the application! But some of the guidelines that need to be followed to enable their verification of the attempt are rather difficult, and where I need assistance. Would you be interest in helping with any of the following? (NOTE: I'm not offering to pay for you coming on the cruise; that's a bit too rich for me.)

1) Timekeeper: Since this requires having an accurate measurement of the time it takes to complete the full distance, they want a "qualified" timekeeper. Certain professions that they gave as examples include professionals from local athletics clubs, referees, sports coaches, and PE teachers. I would hope that anyone who proctors exams would also qualify, but I'll cross that bridge if/when I come to it. (I've got a couple of questions outstanding with them on this requirement.) Minimum of two needed.

2) Witnesses: These typically must be distinct from the timekeepers. (Again, more questions.) They need to view the entirety of the attempt (maximum of 4 hours, at which point others would need to be witnesses), keep a detailed log book about what happened, and provide a written affidavit in their own words about what they witnessed. Minimum of two needed (for any 4 hour stretch). Might want to have someone keeping track via tick marks on a small hand-held white board of each lap (visible on video being made) to document - and for me to know contemporaneously - when I have hit the final distance.

3) Independent surveyor: A qualified surveyor to measure the track and certify that distance. After all, they need to know that I have actually run the appropriate distance. The fun bit is that I will likely need to run nearly an extra lap to be considered complete, because if the full distance is hit after a fraction of a lap is completed, I need to complete the lap I'm in before the clock is stopped. I've got a question about whether official documentation from the cruise line about the measurement of the track will suffice -- time will tell.

Along with the above, I'll need to video the entire attempt, as well as some of the prep and post-run celebration, and include an introduction of the various people supporting the attempt. Intermittent photos should be taken as well.

If you're interested in any of the above, please contact me at boxmaster@alumni.williams.edu. The cruise that I'm looking to undertake this record attempt is Virgin Voyages' Valiant Lady cruise to the Caribbean Dec 20-26, 2024. I can't adjust the timing, given other factors at play, and recognize that some people who might otherwise be interested won't be able to assist because of Christmas; that's a risk I'm willing to take.

Thanks in advance for considering this!

No comments:

Post a Comment