Sunday, March 26, 2023

Most giddy run ever

Eat your heart out, Kipchoge! What a fantastic and uber-consistent pace for my run last Monday:


Yes, the lap distance is 1 mile.

How did I achieve such a fabulous result? 

Hint #1: I actually only ran 6 miles, despite logging 18 miles.

Hint #2: I was on vacation, but not on land.


Answer: Garmin didn't recognize anything about my run other than my HR, since the forward motion of the ship I was on (Virgin Cruises' Valiant Lady) was much faster than the actual laps I was running on the top deck of the ship. We were off the coast of Cuba on our way to our first port of call at Roatan, Honduras.

Why was I so giddy? This was actually a very difficult run, but it was hysterically funny. The winds were at least 25mph and the ship was rocking quite a lot in very large-swell rough waters. As I rounded the track, on one half I placed my hand on the railing, readying myself to hold on if I was rocked too hard in one direction, and on the other half, I braced my hand against the low wall that was where a railing should have been. One one straightaway, I would be running headlong into that very strong wind, and then on the straightaway on the other side of the ship, I was running full-tilt wind-aided. I knew ahead of time that Virgin had a sign that declared 1 mile = 6 laps, so when my Garmin buzzed the first mile after only 2 laps, I couldn't keep from laughing even more so than because of the conditions that I was battling.


No comments:

Post a Comment