Thursday, February 16, 2023

Who Am I Kidding? Take My Money.

Let's face it, the Boston Marathon jacket is iconic. It's hard to resist purchasing it in any year that you get into the marathon. I've been running Boston since 2017, and every year I buy the jacket. But about a week ago, amid lots of joke posts providing very funny "possibilities" for this year's style of jacket, someone found a legit photo of the real thing prior to it being officially released by Adidas. It was instantly panned by a large number of people -- at least in the groupsto which I belong.


Is it grey? Purple? (Officially, it's Silver Violet.)

Why is the logo on the back only screen-print, as opposed to the standard embroidery?

What's the deal with the flap/cape design on the back and the zipper on the back? (Some have said that the zipper is there so that you can roll-up the jacket into itself, though that's not something advertised.)

Yeah, based on the photos on the website, I'm not all that enamored with the jacket. But, as the title implies, who am I kidding? I got into the race again this year -- therefore, I will be getting this jacket. Take my momeny, Adidas. And, as I am one of the rare breed that actually wears the jacket prior to running the race (since I consider the Celebration to be getting into the race -- this is not a finisher's jacket), I'll be wearing it until the 2024 jacket comes out. (I already have a BQ for the race, and am pretty sure it will be good enough to secure a spot.)

What do previous years look like that I've bought? 

2017: The "Band-Aid" jacket, at least referred to that way by the women (women's jacket on the right):


2018: Oh, myyy... The orange...


2019: So-so light blue


2020: Patriotic - really nice design (but largely unworn at any races, thanks, COVID)

2021: Iconic ("traditional" Boston Marathon colors of yellow and blue)


2022: Meh. (Purple and green, really? Officially, "Victory Blue," given the main color, though I keyed in more on the arms'/shoulders' colors.)


2013: The Ideal (classic Boston Marathon colors), and all the more meaningful when I see anyone wearing it, given the bombing that year.


What do you think about the design of this year's jacket? Or any of the previous years' jackets?

1 comment:

  1. Fun post! I have three jackets. My first was 2018 (I actually like the women’s color scheme) which gives the wearer a lot of cred - I bonded with other wearers at subsequent races over the horrible conditions. Badge of honor! 2021 is fantastic. I never wear 2019 since the others are far superior and won’t be buying 2023s…not a fan…but I’ll surely find some other pricey loot!

    ReplyDelete