Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Upcoming sub-3 attempt: forecast

I know, I know. Looking at the forecast 10 days out is a fool's errand. SO much can change over the course of that time. But it certainly helps get the proper mindset and sets expectations, and very much helps you pack properly (or even buy materials you don't yet have).


I'm loving the forecast for next Saturday. While it will be overly cold standing around at the start with that overnight low of 41F (even though a chunk of it will actually be sitting around some of the bonfires), and my hands will be really cold (even wearing gloves and with hand warmers -- my Raynaud's Syndrome is inescapable), soon enough after the start, I will be able to shed the gloves, and hopefully the ear muffs, too. 

Since I'm going to be attempting another sub-3 attempt (will this become a regular for me here?), I'll be finished well before the high for the day, so it should only be somewhere in the low to mid 50s by the time I cross the finish line. Ideal temps, reasonably light wind, and low probability of rain. Definitely excited to get this done, and race day clothing can easily be shorts and singlet, with the gloves that will be shed and the ear muffs that I'll eventually just put on my upper arm once I've generated enough heat.

While they'll likely have heat shields for the finish line given the expected temps for the early finishers, I'll definitely make sure to have a change of shirt and my NYC Marathon poncho in the checked bag. (My starting line mylar will be folded and in the back of my Naked belt on my person during the run, just in case there isn't any being passed out at the finish.)

No comments:

Post a Comment