Sunday, December 6, 2020

Drumroll, please...

So, there are only two races left in the qualifying period for the Abbott World Marathon Majors Age Championships -- both happening next weekend. My current ranking is 2103 (415th in the U.S.) based on only having one qualifying race under my belt for the current qualifying period. 3430 points.

The top 85 overall qualify for the Age Championships. Currently, those who are tied for 84th have a total of 6790 points between their two races. So, if I were to tie with them, that means that I need to get 3360 points (and bringing our collective ranking down to 85, assuming no one else does similarly). Given the scoring mechanism, that means I would be finishing less than 32 minutes behind either the 1st place finisher in my age group or the Platinum standard of 2:34, whichever is faster.

I have to assume that our age group winner will finish in a similar time to last year's -- 2:43:35 -- which means the comparison for points would be against the Platinum standard. So, I must run faster than 3:06:00 to have a shot at a qualifying spot, assuming no one else in the two races is "in the running" for jumping into the Top 85 (and would jump me to 24th in the U.S. -- wow).

I'm sure I've got it in me. (3:02:02 is my PR from just over a year ago.) Now, it's really down to making sure I take good enough care of myself during this next week and the weather conditions are good enough on race day. No more tweaking of my diet beyond what I'm already used to doing. And as of now, the temperature at the start of the race should be in the low 50s (ideal), with mild crosswinds (9mph from the north), but a decent chance of rain showers (grr...). Hopefully it's only a light rain and intermittent (enough to keep me cool, but not so much as to have the shirt stuck to my skin even longer or soak through my sneakers and socks). Nothing I can do about the conditions, just mentally prepare myself for them, and keep myself as dry and warm as possible in the time before race start.

Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment